1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup stout - we used Rogue Chocolate Stout
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - we used Ghirardelli
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan, remove from heat and let cool.
2. Mix in the stout and cocoa powder.
3. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
4. Mix the eggs and sour cream in another large bowl.
5. Mix the stout mixture into the egg mixture.
6. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
7. Pour the batter into one or two greased and parchment lined circular cake pan(s).
8. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean. Two 8-inch round pans took 30 minutes.
We frosted the cake with a Bailey's Irish Cream frosting, but it would be good with anything.