Thursday, April 24, 2008

Petroglyph Point

Pictures from a couple of weeks ago. Petroglyph Point is part of the Lava Beds National Monument and an important location during the Modoc War. Photo credits go to Tom.
Desert vista looking north from the parking area.
 
Looking south along the face of the cliff.
The petroglyphs are of different ages and condition. Some of them look rather modern. I'm including those which appear to be at least a hundred years old. I enjoy trying to figure out what the pictures indicate. Many mountains and the sun and a flock of the snow geese, perhaps.
Big mountains with snow on them and lots of teepees at the base?

One of my favorites: this one really looks like it includes tents in an army encampment.
 
"Then we camped by the river and ate doughnuts . . ."
I didn't include all of the photos. Other spots have many hash marks that look like counting days or perhaps "counting coup".
Your intrepid desert explorers: me with Alice and Molly.