Sunday, April 19, 2009

On the Road Again

Somewhat unexpectedly, the Sprint card is working well here in Laramie, Wyoming. I'll take the opportunity to post a few travel pictures from today.


 
 I found a more attractive area of Kansas.  US 75 north from Topeka goes through rolling hills and along the river.  It reminded me of the wheat field areas of Eastern Oregon.



Auburn NE, just over the Kansas-Nebraska border.  It struck me as quintessential small-town mid-America


 It snowed more in Wyoming during the week since I last passed through.  This was taken looking northwest from the rest area just outside of Cheyenne. Molly says that snow is for running free in.  Her feet hit the snow in the rest area and again at the motel and she started to frolic and then to run with a joyous look on her face.  Until she hit the end of the leash and turned around to give me a glare.  As I was wearing sandals - and no coat - I was unprepared for a winter outing.

   
Dropping down into Laramie, Wyoming as night falls.

I may not make it any farther than Winnemucca tomorrow.  That's about 10 hours from here, and then it's another 6 hours from there home.  I'm not sure that I'm up for 16 hours of driving.  I don't want to leave before daybreak as I imagine that the snowmelt that was on the road this evening will be ice early tomorrow morning.  If I left at 7 a.m. that would put me going across the Cascades from 10 to 11 p.m.  As there isn't much in the way of accomodations between Winnemucca and home, I might do better to take my time and do a little sight-seeing around Salt Lake City.