Monday, May 21, 2012

The Reading List is a little behind

I have finished slogging my way through re-reading (#17) Robert Heinlein's Time Enough for Love.  I felt that I had to after Tom named Dora after a character (or rather two) in the book.  Copyright 1973; we bought it early on and still have a well-worn copy on the shelves in the living room.  I find that I dislike holding big heavy books more and more (thank you, Kindle!).

I remember enjoying parts of it more at just-over-20 than I do now at nearly-60.  Heinlein tried to put himself inside the head of female characters in many of his books, but failed.  His take was that we must be as preoccupied with sex as an adolescent boy - which in the main I don't believe to be the case.  And to rejuvenate myself continuously so that I can stay of childbearing age and do so again and again, creating multiple families?  I don't think so!  At just-over-20 I had not yet borne and raised two.  Menopause has its advantages.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the reading, and used the handy highlighting feature to help remember my favorite passages and Lazarus Long quotes.  As a crusty older woman I enjoy Heinlein as a crusty older man:
Belief gets in the way of learning.

"Sense" is never common.

Don't ever become a pessimist; a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun - and neither can stop the march of events.

Work is not an end in itself; there must always be time enough for love.

Science and are are occupations of a very small minority - a small percentage even of those people who claim to be scientists or artists.

If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.

It's amazing how much "mature wisdom" resembles being too tired.

You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on having both at once.

Courage is the complement of fear.  A man who is fearless cannot be courageous.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of - but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so.  There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against.  In case of doubt, vote against.  By this rule you will rarely go wrong.  If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice.  Then vote the other way.  This enables you to be a good citizen (if this is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.

[Under ingredients for a happy marriage] See to it that she has her own desk - then keep your hands off it!

Formal courtesy between husband and wife is even more important than it is between strangers.

Genes belong to the race; they're simply lent to the individual for his-her lifetime.

Liking yourself was the necessary first step toward loving other people.
It was time for something shorter this week, so I'm reading (#18) Jennifer Roberson's Lonnie.  Support our Cardigan community!  I admit to never having tried her fantasy (sorry, Jennifer!), though did enjoy Lady of the Forest (a Robinhood saga).  On the other hand I couldn't get through Lady of the Glen.  So far, I'm enjoying this read.