Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Boulder Mountain and Anasazi State Park

We weren't able to stay in Capitol Reef National Park as the campground was full.  Instead we stayed outside at Wonderland RV Park.   It was good and I'd stay there again.  The only problem was the large black dog on the ranch "next door" who came over to visit the dogs as we were walking them.

Our next stop was to be Bryce Canyon but once again we wanted to take the road less travelled.  Noting a "scenic byway" on the map, we started uphill.


The vegetation changed quickly as we left the desert and drove higher . . . and higher . . . 



 The view from the viewpoint near the summit was incredible.








The summit of the highway was 9680 feet.  The mountain itself is over 11,000' at the peak.

From the top, the road drops down to the small town of Boulder, UT.  There lies Anasazi State Park, which is what we were heading for.  There just happened to be a mountain in between.


Here lies an ancient pueblo from approximately 1160 A.D.  Partially excavated, it is covered to protect it from the elements.





The surrounding landscape is stunning.   And one of the quietest and most peaceful places we have visited.





Also at the museum is a replica of what a pueblo of the times might have looked like.

Ruins fascinate me.  Had I to do it over again, or were we granted time for multiple lives, perhaps I would have taken the advice of one of my professors at Fresno State and changed my major to Anthropology.  But I couldn't see what you could do with a degree in Anthropology except teach. I still remember him, Dirk van der Elst.  I just googled him and see that he has written a book since then (I was his student in 1970-71).  Culture as Given, Culture as Choice.  I'm tempted to buy it but alas, it's not available in a kindle edition (I just clicked on the button to request that they publish it).

The preface of the book:




How great is that?  

Ah well, now Anthroplogy is a nice hobby and excuse to read and to travel.  Right?