Saturday, January 28, 2012

On Becoming Sixty

One of the questionable benefits of having a birthday later in the year is that you have several months to get used to the idea of being older.   This is a big one that is taking quite a bit of getting used to.  I am still trying to work through it in my mind, as I am sure that I don't feel almost sixty.

Maybe "sixty is the new forty"?   Forty didn't bother me much at all.  And the fifties have gone by with no major changes to make them memorable.  The next decade will be quite different.

Random thoughts:

It is ok to drive the speed limit.  It is after all about the journey, not the destination.

Function over Fashion.  It felt good to cut my hair off.  Also I have a preference for silver over gold in jewelry, so why not in hair?

Yes, I do walk more carefully at times.  Especially when it's icy.  So what?  And speaking of such things, I no longer see a need to prove that I'm tough.  Thumbs up to motorhome with sleep-number bed.  Thumbs down to roughing it with a flat air mattress.

It's not "old lady skin".   It's well-worn and comfortable, like a favorite pair of well-washed jeans.

There is life after PMS.  Being post-menopausal has turned out to be a very good change of life.

I'm sure that I will have more . . .
_________________________________________________________________________

2012 reading and watching list:

7. Absolution by Miriam Herin.  Found on kindle: I don't know whether it was free or if Tom picked it for 99¢, but I hope that he didn't pay any more than that. I read it as it did have some good courtroom scenes but I admit that I skimmed large sections of the backstory from the 60's. Maybe it would hold more interest for someone who wasn't around in the 60's.

Currently reading Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. A favorite of Jamie and Catherine's, it is the book that inspired them to name their puppy "Hiro" (Japanese for "first"). An entertaining book, set in sort of a post-apocalyptic California where people have a matrix/second-life as well as a real existence and religion is compared to a virus.

Concurrently reading the late Christopher Hitchen's Arguably Essays. Which does rather tie in.

Currently watching our way through 33 episodes of Breaking Bad on Net Flicks. Set in Albuquerque, some of the characters might need a good defense attorney at some point.